Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chasing Turkey Vultures Has Its Rewards

Okay, there are these massive birds in Kentucky call turkey vultures.  I have no idea how these ugly birds can get off the ground, but they do and I am intrigued by them.  They caught my attention about a month ago when I saw a couple lift a large cat off the road and carry it about 5 feet.  Talk about team work!  Don't worry, the cat was not alive it was "road kill".  There seems to be a lot of that around here, but you'll have to take my word on that because I don't plan to take pictures of road kill.  SMILE  I have been carrying my camera around with me in hopes I can catch a glimpse of these large scavengers on camera.  Unfortunately, these little/big guys are smart.  They fly off before you can even get with in 50 feet of them.  I'm thinking of tying a roast around my neck and go off searching for them.  Although, I have a feeling there could be some hazards in this idea..

Yesterday I spotted the turkey vultures in a pasture so I did what any curious crazy woman would do, I slammed my car into park and jumped out of the car.  Please remember I live in the sticks. I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT practice this if you drive on the 95 in Virginia or the 5 or 15 in Cali.  You might get a free white coat and a long stay in a padded room.  I had a feeling the turkey vultures would flee so I started snapping pictures as soon as I was out of the car.  As expected, they flew away and I hung my head in defeat as I walked back to the car planning my next tactic should I come across them again.  I am pretty stubborn and I will get a picture of turkey vultures!!!

This morning I popped my SD card into my laptop and I couldn't believe my eyes.  I didn't catch any good shots of the vultures, but there were these magnificent clouds that sneaked into the shots.  I had no idea they were there yesterday.  I was so fixated on the vultures I missed those beautiful creations.  Sometimes accidents are blissful!

I could seriously get lost in the Kentucky skies.  Have I ever told you how much I LOVE living in Kentucky?!












No comments:

Post a Comment